Review of the Instant Pot IP-DUO Plus
In early 2017, Instant Pot released their Duo Plus 9-in-1 product, and it quickly became the best-selling appliance on Amazon. It is an upgrade of their previous Instant Pot DUO 60 kitchen tool, which was also a best seller on Amazon too. But the newer Duo Plus 9-in-1 has many more features which consumers are raving about.
The Duo Plus 9-in-1 has all the same features as the Duo Plus 60, plus many other functions and upgrades too. Since it is a 9-in-1 unit, the device is like having nine different kitchen machines inside of 1 unit. These machines include a rice cooker, egg cooker, sterilizer, steamer, warmer, yogurt maker, slow cooker, sauté, and pressure cooker.
If you previously used the 7-in-1 model, then you will already know how to operate the pre-programmed buttons and controls because they are the same. There are also three additional settings on the Duo Plus 9-in-1, including:
1) Egg Cooking
If you like to cook eggs, then the Duo Plus 9-in-1 has a program that will let you cook them within a couple of minutes. There are three modes for preparing eggs with the unit. They are as follows:
Less Mode – If you want to prepare soft boiled eggs, this mode will use high pressure to cook them for 3 minutes.
Normal Mode – If you want to prepare medium boiled eggs, this mode on high pressure will prepare them in 4 minutes
More Mode – If you want to prepare hard-boiled eggs, this mode on high pressure will prepare them in 5 minutes.
2) Cake Cooking
This program will supply the proper pressure for you to prepare soft cakes that are moist and delicious.
Less Mode – If you want to prepare lightly moist cakes, this mode will use high pressure to prepare them within 25 minutes.
Normal Mode – If you want to prepare moist cakes that are denser, this mode will use high pressure to prepare them within 40 minutes.
More Mode – If you want to prepare delicious cheesecake (New York style), this mode will use high pressure to prepare them within 50 minutes.
When you choose the sterilize option, it will let you sterilize things like utensils, baby bottles, and even pasteurized milk. You will definitely want this in your kitchen.
Less Mode – This option can pasteurize dairy products like milk. There is no pressure used at 181°F.
Normal Mode – If you have vegetables or acidic fruits which need canning or utensils that need to be sterilized, use this low-pressure option at 230°F. Meat canning is not recommended.
More Mode – This mode uses more pressure than the normal mode to serve the same purpose of sterilization and canning. The temperature is 239°F.
The sterilization option is a great alternative to a pressure canner. It is better for only sterilizing utensils.
Instant Pot IP-DUO Plus 60 9-in-1 Review
If you want to replace your current kitchen appliance with one that is multi-functional, then consider replacing it with the Instant Pot Duo Plus60 9-in-1.
The technological features included with the Plus60 9-in-1 allow you to prepare food as much as 70% quicker than previous slow cooker models.
After you press just one button, you will be able to use 15 different programs which are controlled with a microprocessor. You will surely have success cooking your foods quickly because of the material used to make this device. It is comprised of 18/8-gauge 304 stainless steel (food grade). This goes for the lid as well.
Secondly, there are three layers on the bottom of the unit which help spread heat consistently throughout your food and ensures it is cooked thoroughly. After you’re done, you can place the unit in the dishwasher to wash away the debris.
The Instant Pot Plus 60 9-in-1 has ten safety mechanisms and is UL certified. Your energy bills won’t even increase either because the unit is made with energy efficient technology.
If you don’t like the steam that is generated from most pressure cookers, then you will love this 9-in-1 cooker because it does not generate steam. Instead, you can enjoy the aromas of the food without having any safety concerns.
Like we previously mentioned, the Instant Pot Duo Plus60 9-in-1 is a suitable substitute for nine common appliances found in the kitchen. You can use this unit as a programmable pressure cooker, yogurt maker, rice cooker, slow cooker, sterilizer, warmer, sauté pan, and steamer.
The multiple smart programs and the innovative microprocessor technology of the Instant Pot Duo Plus makes it superior to the former Duo model. Each program can be customized with three different settings for temperature and pressure. Then, the next time you use the Instant Pot Duo Plus, it will remember these settings so that you don’t have to set them again.
There is a start delay timer on the unit which lets you schedule the time in which your meal will begin cooking. This timer has a 24-hour limit. Now your meal can be ready at a time that is convenient for you. For instance, let’s say it is nighttime and you want to eat oatmeal in the morning. Put the oatmeal in the unit and set the time for the next morning. That way, the oatmeal will be freshly cooked by the time you’re ready to eat breakfast. No more warming up food in the microwave or anything like that. The unit will keep your food warm for you right after it is cooked.
Best of all, there are multiple accessories included with this particular model. These accessories will assist you in preparing your favorite recipes. If you need to know these recipes, there is a cookbook included with the accessories.
Easy-to-Use Visual Interface
A lot of consumers made requests to the Instant Pot Company to make their display interface more user-friendly. In response, the company created the touchpad control panel for the Instant Pot Duo Plus 60 9-in-1. This display features a large LCD screen with a blue background and white text. You should have no problems reading it. Four status icons will show on the screen: Sound, Keep Warm, Pressure Cook, and Heat.
Also, the Instant Pot Duo Plus 60 9-in-1 provides information on the time and heating level (more, normal, or less). You can set the pressure cooker to either high or low.
Let’s go over the main buttons of the interface:
1) Delay Start Button
Rather than the classic Timer button, there is a Delay Start Button.
2) Pressure Cook Button
The Pressure Cook Button has taken over for the classic Manual Button.
3) Keep Warm Button
To keep your food warm after it is cooked, there is a Keep Warm button that you can use. This is separate from the Cancel button, which should end the confusion that people used to have about it.
4) Simplified Buttons
There is no more Adjust button to choose between the more, normal, or less heating options. This process has been simplified by having program buttons which let you choose these functions quickly.
Throughout the cooking process, you can alter the modes like Keep Warm, Cooking Time, and Pressure Levels. This is a new feature not found in other models.
What you get in the box
Aside from the Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus 60 9-in-1 unit, you get lots of utensils included with it in the box. Here is a list of additional accessories and items that are in the box:
– Steam rack made from stainless-steel. There are handles included too.
– 6-quart stainless-steel pot
– Soup spoon
– Serving spoon
– Recipe booklet
– Power cable
– Measuring cup
– Instruction manual
– Electric pressure cooker
– Detachable lid
– Condensation collector
Instant Pot IP-DUO Plus 60 Pros & Cons
• Made in America
• 9 appliances in 1
• Safe to use in the dishwasher
• 70% faster
• Smart programs can be activated with one-button
• Reputable manufacturer
• Great customer support
• Long power cord (35 inches)
• 1-year limited warranty (company pays for return shipping)
• Gives you extra room in your kitchen
• UL certified and included additional safety features
• 1-button cooking, thanks to electronic programming
• Energy efficient
• Some negative comments about the product suggest there were failures in the beginning. Instant Pot Company responded to these comments, though.
• There are lots of functions, which can be overwhelming for some people.
• Some claims suggest food will stick inside the pot.
• You must secure the lid, or else steam will easily leak through.
• Odors may come from the rubber sealing gasket. Washing doesn’t help with that either.
• Some people don’t find the instruction manual for the device to be too helpful.
Instant Pot 9-in-1 versus Instant Pot 7-in-1
The Instant Pot 9-in-1 and the Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 have some slight differences. For instance, the 9-in-1’s pressure cook button has replaced the manual button. You can still set the cook time that you want with it.
Some other differences include:
– New buttons for sterilizing, cakes, and eggs.
– The LCD screen is blue and features new icons.
– Better instruction manual
– The inner pot has a max. fill line.
Simple Instruction Manual
Consumers frequently have trouble understanding instruction manuals because they are not clear or easy to follow. Well, the Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1 has an updated instruction manual which is made to be easily understood. This manual can be downloaded on the website of the manufacturer.
Markers are Simpler to Read
The inner pot of the Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1 has very clear markings. These markings will prevent you from overfilling the pot. The Instant Pot label included with the pot lets you label appliances, which is helpful if you have multiple pressure cookers.
The Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1 has a blue LCD screenplay which lets you modify cooking settings and pressure levels while the cooking is taking place. The cooker status can be monitored with four icons which get displayed; Keep Warm, Sound, Heat, Pressure Cook. These functions should be self-explanatory.
The Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1 has all the features which make it worth purchasing. The control panel has been improved so that laypeople can understand it better than they could with older Instant Pot models. The display text is bigger, making it easier to read.
Advantages of Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1
• User-Friendly Functions – There are seven functions with this cooker, giving you several cooking choices. These functions include a slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, warmer, yogurt maker, sauté, and pressure cooker. Fourteen smart programs are built into this unit. The big control panel allows you to access them.
• Cook Nutritious Meals – The nutritional content of your foods will be retained after cooking them in the Duo Plus60 9-in-1. Use the recipe cookbook to help guide you in how to prepare these meals.
• Convenience – There is more convenience with this unit, thanks to the cooking delay timer and the Keep Warm button function. Now you can play meals ahead of time.
• Save Space – The 9-in-1 aspect of the unit allows it to be a replacement for other appliances that you might find in the kitchen, such as a slow cooker or rice cooker. You will have more space in your kitchen as a result.
Best Reasons to Purchase the Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1
The Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1 has a better control panel with a clear blue LCD screen. You can make anything from yogurt to eggs with this unit.
With every smart program available, there are buttons made for operating them. They let you alter the pressure level, turn on and off the Keep Warm function, and set a delay start time (24-hour limit). It is easy to alter the cooking time because you need to push the + and – buttons.
The Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1 is stainless steel and will last you for a very long time. There may be a lot of other electronic pressure cookers on the market, but this one has too many good features that you don’t want to pass up. Search around on Amazon and other stores to find the best prices for this unit.
Instant Pot IP-Duo Plus60 9-in-1 is a multi-functional electric pressure cooker for your kitchen that will satisfy all your cooking demands. It is an enhanced model which has many new upgrades and features which previous models don’t have.
Remember all the advantages that we talked about. It is user-friendly with its blue LCD which is easy to read and operate. With so many features to this cooker, it is the perfect replacement for the previous Duo 60 model.
- Duo Plus is the latest evolution in the #1 selling multi-cooker the Duo series with more custom features, improved usability and a large attractive blue LCD screen
- Duo Plus replaces 9 common kitchen appliances including Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, Sterilizer and it makes cake too
- Up to 70% quicker. A great meal is a press of button away with 15 Microprocessor controlled programs taking the guess-work out of your cooking. You can achieve prefect results every time
- All components in contact with food are food grade 304 (18/8) Stainless steel including the lid, the inner pot with 3-ply bottom and steam rack with handles. They are easy to clean and dishwasher safe.Product Dimensions: 14.17 x 14.84 x 13.31 inches
- UL certified with 10 proven safety mechanisms gives you peace of mind. Highly energy efficient, this kitchen friendly cooker emits no steam when cooking, contains all smells and automates your cooking. Accessories include - steam rack with handles, recipe booklet, serving spoon, soup spoon, and measuring cup