Instant Pot Lux60 Pressure Cooker Review
Today we’ll be looking at one of the most popular models in the best-selling Instant Pot series of cookware with our review of the Instant Pot IP-LUX60 v3.
Before jumping into all the features, details, and opinions on this handy little pressure cooker, it’s worth looking at the reason that the team at Instant Pot gave the Instant Pot IP-LUX60 v3 such a name. The start is obvious; the IP stands for “Instant Pot.” Then there are the three letters that identify the series the model belongs to, such as the IP-DUO or, in this case, the IP-LUX.
That is followed up by the two numbers at the end. These numbers signify the size/volume of the model; like the IP-DUO 50 and IP-DUO 60. You can find out more about the differences between the two models here, which should give you a better understanding of the differences between the different sized models.
Lastly, there may be a v(number) at the end of the name. This denotes which version the model is. In our case, the IP-LUX60 V3 would be the third version of this particular model.
Now that that’s out of the way, we’ll look at the main features of the IP-LUX60 V3.
The Main Features of the IP-LUX60 V3
As the name implies, the IP-LUX60 V3 is the third version in the LUX series of Instant Pot products. The Instant Potline of products has become known for their efficiency and quality, as well as the value for money they represent. You can get a good quality Instant Pot at a reasonable rate. That’s why they have become some of the bestselling brands in the world of electronic pressure cookers.
Here’s a look at the main features of the IP-LUX60 V3;
1. It was released by Instant Pot in 2017 as an upgraded version of the earlier Instant Pot LUX60 brand.
2. It comes with a total volume of 6 quarts and has all of the features found in earlier versions and a few extra features including Cake and Egg cooking programs.
3. The IP-LUX60 V3 is the only Instant Pot pressure cooker model that doesn’t come with the feature to make yogurts. We want to take the time to remind you that, while this feature was once exclusive to Instant Pot, several other products are now being released with this feature, including the upcoming Fagor LUX 360.
4. Outside of this, the model has a silent running mode where it handles the task at hand without making too much noise. This is great for keeping a perfect ambiance in the kitchen.
5. You can cook things in the LUX60 V3 for up to 240 minutes, twice the 120 minutes that the earlier models of the Instant Pot LUX60 offered.
6. The IP-LUX60 V3 offers an extensive range of safety mechanisms that make operating it as safe as possible.
7. One such safety feature is that the power is automatically cut off from the pressure cooker if it reaches a certain, unsafe, temperature.
8. The cooker only cooks on high pressure. The typical range of the pressure cooker is 10.2 to 11.6 psi. It can be used safely at these high pressures because of the safety feature that ensures the pressure in the cooker never reaches higher than 15.23 psi.
9. It comes with a magnetic sensor for lid position detection, which monitors if the lid is on properly or not before cooking. If the lid is in an unsafe position, the machine won’t turn on.
10. It comes with a great soup/broth program that allows you to cook even rich bone broth in as little as four hours. Just set the pressure cooker to the broth and let it take care of everything.
11. The IP-LUX60 V3 is a very economic pressure cooker. It costs less than previous IP-LUX60 models, so don’t be afraid of the costs of upgrading.
The Best IP-LUX60 V3 Features
• Multiple Functions
The IP-LUX60 V3 offers more than pressure cooking. It also offers features for sautéing, steaming, slow cooking, browning, and rice cooking. The multiple functions of the Instant Pot make it an incredibly versatile little cooking machine. If you don’t have a lot of space in your kitchen for different appliances, then you can count on the IP-LUX60 V3 to do the job of several appliances and save a lot of space. It is a 6-in-1 programmable pressure cooker that offers incredible performance no matter the job.
• Delay Timer
The IP-LUX60 V3 pressure cooker comes with a different delay timer that gives you the option of delaying the cooking as you need it. The delay timer goes up to a maximum of 24 hours, allowing you to put the food in the pot and have it cook as and when it is needed. That’s perfect for people who need to head out to the office first thing in the morning. You can set the timer for when you’re coming back from work and have a healthy and delicious home cooked meal waiting for you at the end of the day.
• Improved Safety
The IP-LUX60 V3 pressure cooker is UL and ULC certified. It adheres to the strictest safety standards to ensure that it works safely and effectively in any condition. It has been subjected to a range of rigorous safety experiments, and it has ten safety mechanisms built in. That allows you to relax and have total peace of mind when using the pressure cooker. Some of these safety features including the extreme pressure protection, lid locking mechanisms, high-temperature warnings, and automatic pressure and steam control.
• Keep Warm
Another great function of the IP-LUX60 V3 is the keep warm function that comes with a maximum 12-hour time limit. If you don’t plan on eating your food as soon as it finishes cooking, let the pot keep the food warm for you. That ensures that you’ve got tasty food waiting for you when you’re ready.
• Display Panel
The IP-LUX60 V3 pressure cooker comes with a large display panel that is super easy to use and read. It allows you to choose a program for the cooker, set it to cook as instructed. The display panel offers different settings for different kinds of food; allowing you to choose the settings you want and let the cooker handle everything by itself.
• Highly Nutritious
The food is cooked in a fully controlled and sealed environment. It is cooked in its juices, rather than water, which would dilute the flavor of the food. The nutritious minerals and vitamins of the food are also preserved for this reason. While food is heated, it isn’t oxidized through exposure to the air. The natural color of the food is also retained with the Instant Pot, leading to nutritious and appealing looking food.
• Variety of Cooking Choices
Just one pot is all you need to cook a range of dishes including cuisine from around the world such as Chinese food, continental food, Indian food, and so much more.
While the IP-LUX60 V3 does have a lot of upsides, it isn’t perfect. There are some negatives to the pot, including:
This Instant Pot is big. So big that it is stored over the counter most of the time. It won’t fit into many kitchen cabinets and should be kept on the counter. That is a detriment for some people that have a smaller, more compact sized kitchen.
• Unable to Change Quantity in Instruction Booklet
You need to follow the instructions closely, including the quantity of food being cooked at once. If you try to cook more or less, you may end up with food that doesn’t cook properly. Sometimes the food may get undercooked or burned.
• Missing Instructions
While the product manual does say the IP-LUX60 V3 supports slow cooking, it doesn’t contain instructions on how to use the slow cooking feature.
• Cook Cycle
It may take longer than the time indicated in the booklet for the cooking to complete. First time users should be sure to time the cooking cycle when making their meals. Blindly following the manual isn’t the best idea if you’re in a hurry and want to get a meal ready for a set time.
What’s Included in the Box?
• 6-quart stainless steel cooking pot
• Stainless steel steam rack – no handles included
• Rice paddle
• Measuring cup
• Soup soon
• Recipe booklet
• User manual
What to Consider Before Purchasing the IP-LUX60 V3
You want to ensure that you are getting the best pressure cooker available for your needs. There are some factors to consider when choosing the best pressure cooker. Let’s find out more about what makes the IP-LUX60 V3 such a great choice when looking for a pressure cooker.
One of the most important things to consider is the material. The IP-LUX60 V3 pressure cooker is created from stainless steel inside and out. That means that it can’t be hit by rust, nor can it become dented and scratched, giving it a long lifespan.
While considering the capacity to purchase, it’s important to work out how much food you plan on cooking at once. The 6-quart capacity of this model is great for a medium-sized family and allows you to cook more than enough food for everyone.
The IP-LUX60 V3 comes to UL and ULC-certified with around ten different safety mechanisms, making it one of the safest pressure cookers on the market. The brand behind the cooker is an important consideration too. The IP-LUX60 V3 is made by Instant Pot, who is a long-running brand of pressure cookers with a lot of success under their belts. Their name carries a certain weight on the market.
Instant Pot sells their pressure cookers with a 2-year warranty, meaning that you are covered in case of maintenance problems. This pressure cooker comes at a good price considering the technology built into it and the functionality it offers.
Anyone looking for a simple pressure cooker that can be set up and left to create a tasty meal on its own should consider the IP-LUX60 V3. The preset functions built into the cooker allow you to cook different foods to perfect without needing to be a gourmet chef. The pressure cooker is simple to clean and is dishwasher-safe, making it even easier to use. The Instant Pot IP-LUX60 ticks all the boxes as far as safety, technological expertise, and versatility are concerned. It’s easily the winner when compared to other pressure cookers in this range. If you’re looking for something that can make your cooking life easier and won’t break the bank, then you should consider the IP-LUX60. That’s all we have to say for our IP-LUX60 V3 pressure cooker review.
- All new 2017 Instant Pot LUX 60 V3 is an upgraded version of the Instant Pot LUX60 model
- Large, easy to use control panel with the addition of Cake and Egg cooking programs
- Up to 240 minutes of pressure cooking time as opposed to 120 minutes.
- Ability to disable alarms and switch to silent operation.
- Capacity: 6L/6.33 Qt, Power rating: 1000W, Voltage: 110v/60Hz, Gross Weight: 14.57 pounds